KER Neigh-Lox 2.5kg
Antacid and Coating Supplement for Horses at Risk of Gastric Ulcers
Prolonged exposure of the stomach to gastric acid can cause damage to the stomach lining, resulting in a painful condition for the horse.
Research has shown that as many as 90% of horses in training have some level of stomach damage.
Gastrointestinal upsets are common amongst many horses. Symptoms may include:
- Gastric sensitivity
- Loose manure
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Stable vices
- Poor coat condition
- Unsettled behaviour
Neigh-Lox contains a combination of rapidly acting antacids. One serve is capable of neutralising the amount of gastric acid typically produced over a six-hour period.
The acid-neutralising properties of Neigh-Lox come from dihydroxy-aluminium sodium carbonate and aluminium phosphate, while aluminium phosphate and lecithin provide a physical protective coating to the stomach and small intestine.
In a study conducted at Auburn University, it was demonstrated that Neigh-Lox was effective in raising the pH of the stomach and maintaining an environment that is not conducive to ulcer formation.
It has been suggested that these antacids protect the gastric mucosa by enhancing the local production of prostaglandins and nitric oxide, substances which increase mucosal blood flow.
Additionally, research by Dr. Frank Andrews at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine suggests that Neigh-Lox may provide a protective effect against irreversible acid injury to the non-glandular stomach mucosa.
Why use Neigh-Lox?
- May aid in the maintenance of normal digestive functions
- Scientifically formulated blend of antacids and gastric coating agents for horses at risk of gastric irritation and damage
- Contains slow and rapid-acting antacids to effectively support the maintenance of a normal gastric environment
- Contains coating agents designed to protect the sensitive lining of the stomach
When to use Neigh-Lox
- Horses at risk of gastric irritation, ulcers or following treatment with omeprazole
- Horses on high-grain, reduced-forage diets
- Performance horses prone to loss of appetite after work, competition, or travel
- Horses exhibiting stable vices, unsettled behaviour, loose manure, or weight loss
- Use during stressful conditions such as travel, weaning, show/sales preparation
Feed 55g (1 level scoop) in each feed as a maintenance serve during low-stress periods.
Feed 110g (2 level scoops) for horses in work, during show/sale, or competition preparation.
Do not exceed a total daily intake of 454g.
Feed weanlings (1 level scoop) 6-12 months of age each hard feed.
Do not exceed a total daily intake of 227g.
Neigh-Lox may be fed alone or mixed with feed. Neigh-Lox may be fed immediately prior to work or competition in order to aid in reducing potential irritation from acid that may splash onto the sensitive, unprotected stomach tissue during work.